top of page
Jake Pope

Class of 2017

​(Jacob) Jake Pope was born in Leathbridge, Alberta Canada on May 23, 1907.  He was raised on a ranch and told of how they would have to dig tunnels in the snow to get from the house to the barn.  He had one older brother, Belmont.

From an early age he was involved with horses, riding, breaking, selling, whatever.  I was able to speak to a man who had known him when he was living in Canada.  He said he had bought a horse from my dad and "It bucked him off every day he rode it".

He participated in the Calgary Stampede as a contestant and pick-up man.  He and his brother played hockey and also baseball.  Jake was the catcher, Belmont the pitcher so the roster read Pope and Pope.

His parents divorced when he was 14 or 15.  His mother moved to Twin Falls and  the boys hid under blankets so they could cross into the States. He again became involved in the horse trade which lasted throughout his lifetime.

He met Katherine Halterman at a dance and they begin dating.  They were married October 29, 1930.  Two children were born Luella and Ronald.

He continued in the horse business in many ways.  For several years they lived at the riding club in Twin Falls.  He ran a dude string and also was a farrier. He was a member of the Twin Falls Posse and traveled to rodeos and fairs with them.

He then established Spur Rowel Rodeo Company starting in 1954 and continued through 1974 each year when Jake sold the rodeo stock at Oakley Pioneer Days and produced rodeos throughout Idaho and Nevada.  Cream Puff, a bucking horse in the Spur Rowel Rodeo came to Oakley in 1954 when Jake Pope first started producing the rodeo for Pioneer Days.  When Jake sold the rodeo stock in 1974 Cream Puff was also sold, but cowboys went together and purchased Cream Puff and gave him back to Jake to retire.  Ivan Pollard was the announcer for many years.  Zeb Bell then became the announcer.  Jake's wife and daughter took entries and served as timers. His son Ron often helped as did his son-in-law Bob Wetherbee.

He continued producing rodeos until his health failed. He lost his sight and eventually had to be moved to a Care Center.  He never lost his spirit and his love of life.

He died June 22, 1977 and is buried in Sunset Memorial Park in Twin Falls, ID.

bottom of page